Perseverance

All to Myself


I am pleased with my finished piece but it did take much perseverence. These coneflowers appealed to me with their proud heads looking to the sky. I started this half sheet size (221/2" x 15") with just one flower and then let my imagination build it from there.At times I wondered how I was going to fill up my choice of such a large piece of paper. The leaves were rendered in a really loose way with just gestural marks so that the flower heads were the star. I thought is was finished but looking at it a day later I felt it needed a centre of interest and this was hard as the flowers all looked the same. I decided to add a butterfly which these flowers easily attract and I was pleased to be able to to let the background show through its transparent upper wings.He is now my centre of interest and he is feeling lucky to have this patch of flowers all to himself.

Comments

  1. Clever painting. The butterfly takes your eye on a winding journey through the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly - glad it looked clever as I think maybe it was just luck this time

      Delete
    2. Don't admit to luck! It's genius.

      Delete
  2. Love the flowers and leaves Lorraine! And the butterfly as a "second reading" is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Lorraine... I love that you used your imagination to complete the painting.... that is what I am trying to do especially with flowers. It isn't easy building up a composition like that as I can vouch for but looks like you have succeeded with this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using your imgagination for flower painting is a bit like arranging blooms in a vase, this is something I also played with a lot and always msnaged to bend the stems in my effort to get a pleasing arrangement LOL

      Delete
  4. This arrangement of flowers looks so natural - you really have a great feel for painting flowers, Lorraine. The addition of the butterfly is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, glad this flower arranging worked out OK in the end, like I said to Judith - it is a bit like doing floral arranging but I am having more success painting them than I did arranging the real thing they just never liked all the pushing around I gave them

      Delete
  5. Hello Lorraine:) You should be proud on this painting. Such beautiful flowers and colors. And the composition is wonderful. The butterfly was a great choise! Let spring come, I'm ready for it !!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Renate- its great when all elements come together and work. We are heading into Autumn here- still a lovely time but I bet your Springs are gorgeous too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.