Respect

I have admired and been inspired by photographs I see on the internet and grateful to the wildlife photographers who have allowed me to paint from their images. I also respect and acknowledge their talent in what they do. A week ago I did a one day photography course at the Adelaide Zoo. It was seven hours long and 3 of those were shooting pictures and 4 was theory. I must admit I signed up to do the course to hopefully come away with some fantastic images of my own to paint but as with most things in life - it is not that easy. I have processed my images, binned more than two thirds and acknowledge I will never be a decent photographer as it must take just the same thousands of hours and dedication to achieve that status as does watercolour painting and frankly I would rather paint. I have also finished my Photoshop Elements course with Lindy Downing from Coorong Imaging and this too was full of more theory on procesing images than I will ever need but what it did provide me with was the tools to take and process better images of my own artwork, see merit in photographs I may have passed over to paint and so to me it has certainly been worthwhile. Yesterday I revisited the album of images my daughter in law Susie and her friends gave me from their trip to Africa a couple of years ago and chose this group of lions to paint. The hours I have spent in my studio improving my observation and watercolour techniques has enabled me to have this painting today when it would not have been possible back then. The artist journey is certainly a roller coaster ride but I am so grateful to be on it.
Keeping Watch
 1/2 sheet Arches Rough 140lb (300gsm)
(57cm x 38cm)
Colours: Quinacridone Gold
Raw Sienna, Indigo, Perm. Rose

Comments

  1. What a fabulous painting and original photograph. Really is beautifully painted. I did a photoshop course and I picked out just a few things that were relevant to me and it has helped immensely to play around with my pics. Your wildlife photography may come into the fore next time you visit the zoo. Well done my Aussie friend for opening new horizons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly thank you for your kind words and appreciated feedback. I guess my photography will improve with time and of course I can always take hubby along - he does OK

      Delete
  2. "Keeping Watch" is gorgeous! I love the realistic color of the lionesses and composition with the one lioness standing alert above the others.
    My zoo pictures never come out well,even if you don't pursue it professionally it adds a layer of knowledge to take better reference photos for your watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia, you are right, anything that aids observation skills is really worthwhile

      Delete
  3. Lorraine - your hours of practice certainly come through - this painting of the lionesses is absolutely fabulouse. I love the way you left the back ground loose but kept great detail on the animals themselves. Very lovely friend - have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I would handle the animals Ok if I could just capture the landscape loosely. I am glad I thought it through and took my time before adding paint to the paper. Thanks Debbie for your lovely comment

      Delete
  4. This is a real beauty, Lorraine, and your title really sums up the mood you wished to achieve. Beautiful pigments, love how the lions are painted, and the grasses are just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry, the challenge was the grasses so I took my time in planning how to execute the bg

      Delete
  5. Really beautyful Lorraine! I especially like the soft green/blue colour you have used. And the lions are adorable to look at. Congratulations Lorraine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catharina I added just enough blue to give some coolness and probably more than the landscape really had. Thanks for your kind feedback always so appreciated

      Delete
  6. Lovely!!! You made them look so regal. Love the colors and feel to this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the golden light that pervades this beautiful painting, such a lovely and somehow proud scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane that word proud seems to suit the scene and it also sits well with me as I do feel proud of this one, thanks as always

      Delete
  8. Beautiful piece Lorraine! And I really admire the way you dedicate so much time to continuing your learning. Pays off for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Sherry, my observation skills is what is getting better not necessarily the brushstrokes changing just being put in the right place maybe

      Delete
  9. A wonderful creature comes alive in your watercolor!
    I identify a lot of myself in what you wrote and I wrote a little email ... See you soon, Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lorraine:) How nice to read you become a pro on photography! Use your own photo's is the best thing to do. I hope to see some on your blog soon! Your painting is outstanding. What a lovely family. Always one on the look out. Amazing to see how much detail you painted. I really love this one!
    Have a nice weekend:)xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.