Experimenting At Last - Day 12

I am so pleased that I have have finally allowed myself some play time. All my so called office work, exhibition entries, newsletter writing, and blogging are up to date. I have added a new painting to my Pure Aussie Wool Series. It is Watercolour and Collage with a bit of Gesso. I used three colours, Quin Gold, Winsor Violet and a tiny bit of Permanent Rose. I chose these colours again as they proved a good choice last time with Bale 131 which sold very quickly.
I experimented with a new substrate for me - Ampersand Aquabord. It is a museum series panel and has a texture like cold press paper with a bit of a different feel to paint on but an advantage that lifting out pigment is easier. My reason for trying these panels is to be able to offer some of my paintings framed without glass. When you have finished your watercolour on these panels they need sealing and varnishing. I sprayed with 3 coats of matt varnish and then applied three thin coats of polymer satin varnish. I must say I am thrilled with how the whole process from creation to varnish came together - I must have just been in the zone. This piece did take me about 7 hours including the varnishing. It is a lovely size too 18" x 24". I will now take this to my framer and choose a wooden frame. In the USA you can buy these panels with cradles so you can just add the d rings and wire when done and hang. In Australia I could only buy the flat panels so it was either try and cradle them or just have it framed. I hope one day they do import the cradled version as this would really make me self sufficient. I am so impressed with this surface I am going to try another. BTW I have some RSI happening in my wrist and lower arm so I will no doubt have to try and pace myself if I am to add to this number 12 and get to the end of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge.

Lottie, Merle and Theresa
Pure Aussie Wool Series
Mixed Media on Aquabord
18" x 24"

Comments

  1. Hope this one sells as quickly for you Lorraine. The same thing happened to me when I did the two fall scenes last year. It's interesting what sells isn't it. And a color can make a piece. Nice collage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to experiment with new stuff, isn't it? Lovely painting Lorraine. I had a great time looking at your previous paintings as well.Happy painting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your experimenting! This has such interesting texture with the added mixed media.I like the idea of being able to do some without putting them under glass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lorraine - so beautiful. Take care of that wrist too. Love the colors you chose for this painting. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful as allways Lorraine :)I´ve also had a look at the posts I missed last days due to my work with my new blog. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really admire your collage work, Lorraine. Take care of the RSI - rest, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderfully creative and free spirited piece , a great collage with beautiful warm colors ! Don't push that wrist too hard !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful piece Lorraine! I love the warm golds and lovely textures. I hope to try aquaboard one day, thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sheep piece as always Lorraine! That's exciting to hear about your Aquabord experiment. I was just reading about Fredrix Archival watercolor canvas boards. Hmmm. I hope your RSI doesn't get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again friends, I have rested my hand a bit so I have a chance of carrying on with the challenge

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.