Demo Painting

Gifts from Spring
76cm x 56cm
Saunders Waterford 425gsm Hot Press Paper
Gifts from Spring was painted yesterday as a demo during a two day workshop here in my studio for returning students who had already been on one of my foundation courses over the past two years. 
So much fun and laughter, serious painting too as watercolours were painted to be framed for gifts for special recipients. I really enjoy sharing my journey and passion for this exciting medium and what better way than painting along with others.
The workshop was about each artists painting their own inspiration with help when needed. I enjoyed showing how to move their paintings forward when asked.
I never intended to paint a full sheet demo at all but on our second day from all the combined contributions of flowers it was perfect for me to show how I create a painting without drawing or composing first.
Much fuss was made to make me a nice still life arrangement but I said it was not needed as I don't work that way. You can see the few blooms in a vase in front of my easel. 

  • I wet both sides of the paper
  • Splashed in some colour for a soft background avoiding the area where I needed some white for my white roses. 
  • Darks were added underneath. 
  • Whilst the underpainting was drying I could work on the white blooms.
  • Once dry I added more colour with harder edges with postive and negative painting
 I left the painting many times to go help anyone who was working on their own but even by my standards this large work that can often take two or three days to resolve came together easily and quickly. I was in the zone, the studio was buzzing. A tiny tweak and signature added this morning in my now very quiet back to normal studio and I'm happy.







Comments

  1. Beautiful work, Lorraine! Your class is very talented and lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lorraine what a great demo for your students. Such a lovely painting. Hope you have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great class and I know they enjoyed seeing your process!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day for you and the group Lorraine! Beautiful roses too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.