Day 19

Blossom Time
Watercolour on Canvas
Size 18" x 24"
As mentioned in my last post I have been experimenting with a Fredrix Watercolour Canvas. It has taken me about 8 hours of painting - slow for me as it required a lot of thinking because I did not draw up the composition but painted straight on the canvas using a reference image as a start and added more blossom to fill the 18" x 24" size.The canvas was so different to paper in its required application that my normal watercolour techniques did not seem to stay put so I adapted and felt like I was maybe painting more like oil or acrylic. I have never painted in oil and only limited experience with acylic -last year I did three acrylic commissioned paintings for my son. It seemed to need more dark layers than on paper. I did however enjoy the fact lifting back to white canvas was really easy. My composition was only structured for the focal stem and I tried to capture depth with just hints of more blossom getting more and more loose.
I have used three coats of spray mat varnish and one coat of polymer satin varnish. Not sure whether I like this much work but will stay open minded because maybe next time with experience I will be faster.

Comments

  1. Gosh this is really beautiful and was worth the hard work. Interesting to hear your views on a different method of painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beatiful. it really looks like the wind is blowing in your painting, well done for capturing that movement.

    http://saundersartistblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine, this turned out so beautifully! I love white flowers in paintings. Really wonderful~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, Lorraine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, you've handled the white flowers so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of work in this painting but worth it Lorraine! Your stem of flowers really stands out in that blue sky. Good depth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful painting! I really admire how you handled this subject!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very beautiful painting, which I really like in shape, color and fluency. (I also tried this I paint on canvas prepared with a special fund, because here I do not find easily FredrixCanvas . I also do not know the answer to myself and I look forward to future experiences ...). Your 30 days challenge makes all great results!Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love seeing and reading about your technique, Lorraine. I admire your ability to experiment and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. really super lorraine ! ...hope you do more

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love this Lorraine , these flowers are so beautiful ! I didn't know you could paint with watercolor on canvas, but the result is absolutely wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty,lovely work, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the composition, and the brilliant blue and white. 18x24! I'm in awe; I can't imagine painting that big (though I'd like to ...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your kind comments on my can as watercolour. Seems ages since I painted on paper other than my warm up delicious foodies so maybe today I'll get back to paper, what will I paint?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The final result is super! I love the blooms against the deep blues! I didn't know about this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this came out beautiful!!! I know several artists who have been experimenting on watercolor canvas, but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely Lorraine! It´s soft and pretty the way you painted the background flowers in that delicate way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.