Testing the new Daniel Smith Colours




There has been much hype around the new Daniel Smith colours released last month and I resisted adding more tubes to my huge collection but I succumbed to the pressure of having to be sure I'm not missing out on something spectacular.
They arrived a few days ago but sat on my desk until today when I put them to the test.

Colours: 
Paynes Blue Gray PB60, PBk6
Aussie Red Gold PY83, PR101, PV19
Raw Sienna Light PY42
Burnt Sienna Light PR101, PO48
Quinacridone Lilac PR122
Wisteria PW6, PR122
Rose Madder Permanent PR209, PV19, PR202

I use good watercolour paper for my test strips so that when I use a pigment in a work it should react the same as in my testing.


Each strip has 10 rectangles.
Values:
7 are used for a value scale so I can see the colour in its full strength, grading right down to the lightest value being just the white of the paper.
Transparency:
I add a waterproof black texture line on rectangle 8 so I can test in a heavy consistency how transparent the pigment is
Staining:
Dry paint is lifted with a damp brush in rectangle 9 telling me how staining the pigment is
Texture:
I use the last rectangle to add salt to the damp paint to see what effects it will make.





Conclusion for me:
1. I often find I have the same pigment under a different name by another manufacturer but this   doesn't mean they behave the same when water is added. This time just two had the same pigment numbers as ones I already own.
** Aussie Red Gold PY83,PR101,PV19 same as Australian Red Gold by Art Spectrum
** Quinacridone Lilac PR122 same as Quinacridone Magenta by Winsor & Newton

2. I like how dark the Payne's Blue Gray is when almost straight out of the tube

3. The Burnt Sienna light didn't seem any different to the regular Burnt Sienna I use

4. The Wisteria was thought chalky in consistency seems quite transparent and is  the same pigment as the Quin Lilac but with titanium white added

5. The most appealing colours meaning I will probably use them and not put them in the big box of wait my turn are the Wisteria, Rose Madder Permanent and the Quinacridone Lilac.





Comments

  1. Annette Lambert9 March 2017 at 20:01

    Looks great. Thanks for the interesting info. I must finish my homework from........?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - wonderful information. Enjoyed seeing your test strips as well. The paynes gray sounds like it would make a great dark too. Have a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this info - I, too, was tempted by some but I have so many colors already (using just about a doz regulars) and this saved me from being TOO tempted! ha ha. I like how you added salt, lifted, put the black down, all testing different components.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your way of testing the colors...so logical!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.