Black and White

Yesterday was week 4 for students in my 6 week foundation course and our main focus was painting black and white. I show how to mix interesting blacks on the paper rather than a flat mix in the palette and of course how we don't use white but retain the clean white of the paper for our whites.
Our Australian Magpie is a perfect subject for black and white. After class I added some colour for a simple background.
At the end of our morning class there was time for a quick 30 minute demo. With just three little pencil marks for the eyes and placement of the nostril this powerful Jaguar started to magically race towards me on the paper.  I was able to show how to have black spots and marks look part of the fur by painting them first and then adding orange and grey colours on top. This ensures some of them fuse a bit and a more natural look is achieved.
This demo was one of those magic moments in the studio, it seemed little effort but its results like this that shows just how magical this medium is. It doesn't always have to take days to paint but of course you have to know when to stop. Lucky for me my 30 minutes were up.

Undercover
Unframed size 38cm x 28.5cm
Saunders Waterford 425gsm Hot Press Paper

100 km/h
Unframed size 56cm x 38cm
Saunders Waterford  300gsm Cold Press Paper

Comments

  1. Both of these Lorraine are beautiful...especially love the Jaguar. Take care friend and have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lorraine! Your animals are always special~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work both of them!🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love sharing my journey with fellow bloggers and your feedback through comments is always appreciated.